Wednesday 14 September 2016

#1 Close your eyes and draw your face

@andreanhj tweeted: "close your eyes and draw your face" then send it to me please! I'm testing prototypes @derbymuseums #FindingLines



I don't normally draw portraits but decided to take up the challenge.

Eyes shut, I tried to concentrate on where where I was taking the pencil line and where to move next. 

OK my ears are a little displaced but I think it's probably more like me than if I'd drawn with my eyes open. Maybe that's because I'd be deliberating more over each line and mark whereas this approach is quite quick and spontaneous.





I decided to have another go, this time wearing my festival hat. The outcome was an amusing but much more erratically arranged face than my first drawing.







The third attempt was similarly chaotic. For some reason I seemed to manage the hat better than the face. I think it's probably because I  pretty much drew the hat in a continuous line. Once I'd lifted the pencil off the paper it was difficult to judge how far I'd moved it and where the rest of the drawing was.






My friend Nikki added another challenge: Put the paper on top of your head and draw someone else. This was really difficult!

So here is Tony cooking our camping breakfast. 




Thoughts: Fun to do. Results are amusing although not always recognisable. The approach made me focus on the main features and shapes instead of getting sidetracked into too much detail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment