Saturday 17 September 2016

#6 Draw some fierce marks

An age-old issue was raised by the phrase 'Draw some fierce marks'. 

What constitutes 'drawing'? It is a term very difficult to define and often interpreted as a representation of an object or idea by lines, usually in pencil or pen and without colour.

I prefer to interpret the term more broadly using a variety of media to make different types of marks. I looked up definitions on-line and they were many and varied. This one from the Urban Dictionary probably best sums up my approach:

"the act of making marks on a surface so as to create an image, form or shape" (Urban Dictionary)

For this drawing I wanted to use something to make bigger, bolder marks; to put energy and force into the actually making of the marks. Firstly I used charcoal, making big scratchy lines back and forth. 

I deliberate over whether it would be acceptable to use paint as I would like to make thicker, more textured marks. Then I remembered that really there are no rules. This is my 'drawing' and I can do whatever I want with it. What I refer to as 'challenge' cards, are actually 'prompts'; starting points to be used as inspiration to stretch drawing, ideas, creativity and confidence. There is no right and wrong.


The paint marks were ok but I still didn't feel I'd really got the energy into 'fierce' marks. What I wanted to do was to splash paint across the top of the other marks, using sharp swings of the arm. I had to challenge myself again on the 'what is drawing issue' but in reality, what did it matter if the end result was something that expressed fierce marks?





No comments:

Post a Comment