Saturday 17 September 2016

#5 Draw something that makes you smile


What a dilemma over 'draw something that makes you smile'. I did these drawings in response to Ynes, my 7 year old neighbour, recently telling me about her new dwarf hamster, Caramel, who fits in her hand. Tony asked how big she would grow and apparently they never grow! They stay the same size as they are when they are born.... only maybe their legs grow longer. It made me smile every time I thought about it. 

I found it really hard to draw hamsters and hands but had fun doing it. The following evening, as I was contemplating whether to tweet the whole page of scribbled drawings or just clip out what might be the best, I met Ynes crying her heart out because Caramel had died. I contemplated long and hard about whether it was heartless to tweet my drawings of what made me smile under these circumstances. I also wondered what I could do for a little heart-broken girl. I could hear her sobbing out in the garden, so tore the page out of my sketchbook and took it round to her. I explained that someone had asked me to draw something that made me smile, and that her stories about Caramel had done that. I said I'd like her to have the drawings to remember Caramel. 

Sometimes the best things happen when we dare to take risks. I wasn't sure how she would respond, but she looked at the drawings and smiled and gave me the hugest hug. Hopefully my weird drawings will bring a little comfort to a sad little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment